Election Workers

Details on Upcoming Election

                Am I registered to vote?  Where do I go on Election Day? SOS Voter Information Center


One of the fundamental rights of our democracy is the right to vote. Any U.S. citizen who is at least age 18 on Election Day is eligible.

But before you can cast a ballot, you must register. Voter registration forms are available at any Secretary of State office, online at or from your local clerk. ­ This outlines what you need to know about registering to vote and voting. This election year, make sure your voice is heard – register and vote!


To register to vote, you must be:

  •  A U.S. citizen;
  •  At least 18 years old by Election Day;
  • A resident of Michigan and the city or township where you are applying to register to vote.

How: You can register to vote for federal, state and local elections by mail; at your county, city or township clerk’s office; or by visiting any Secretary of State office. In addition, agencies providing services through the Department of Human Services, the Department of Community Health and the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs officer voter registration services to their clients. Military recruitment centers also provide voter registration services.  You may also register at the same time you renew your driver’s license by mail. Eligible drivers receive a voter registration application in the mail with their driver’s license renewal information.

V­oter ID Requirement: If you are registering to vote in person, state law requires you to either show picture ID or sign an affidavit attesting that you are not in possession of picture ID. See the “Voter ID Requirement” section under the “TO VOTE” information later in this brochure for a list of acceptable picture ID documents.

When: Registration deadline is now 15 days for methods of registration other than in person at the local clerk;s office, which goes through Election Day.

Change of Address: If you move within a city or township, you must update your address. ­ This can be handled through your local clerk, at a Secretary of State office, online at, by mail or at any other location where voter registrations are accepted. Whenever you move to a new city or township, you must re-register to vote. The residential address used for your voter registration must be the same as the address on your driver’s license. Consequently, when you submit a driver’s license address change, it will be applied to your voter registration. Similarly, when you submit a voter registration address change, it will be applied to your driver’s license.

V­oter in the Military or Outside the United States: A Federal Postcard Application (FPCA) form can be used to register. ­ The FPCA form is available online at from the Federal Voting Assistance

Program and is distributed through U.S. embassies and military bases. A Michigan resident who moves and registers out of state may not re-register to vote in Michigan until he or she re-establishes residency here.


To Vote simply appear at your assigned polling place on Election Day. ­The polls are open from 7 a.m. until 8 p.m.

Where: Your Voter Identification Card lists your precinct number and your assigned polling place location. If you do not receive your card within three weeks after registering, contact your city or township clerk’s office to confirm your registration status. You also may check your status online at the Michigan Voter Information Center at

Niles City Residents Vote in the Following Locations:

Ward 1/Precinct 1

St. Paul’s Lutheran   Church

1340 Sycamore Street

Ward 2/Precinct 2

St. Paul’s Lutheran   Church

1340 Sycamore Street

Ward 3/Precinct 3

Niles Fire Station

1345 East Main

Ward 4/Precinct 4

Niles FOP Lodge 95

531 N. State Street

Voter ID Requirement: When you arrive at your polling place to vote, state law requires you to either show picture ID or sign an affidavit attesting that you are not in possession of picture ID. You can satisfy the ID requirement by showing a Michigan driver’s license or state ID card. If you do not possess either document, you may show any of the following forms of picture ID as long as it is current: driver’s license or ID card issued by another state, a federal or state government-issued photo ID, a U.S. passport, a military ID card with a photo, a tribal ID card with a photo or a student ID with a photo from a high school or an accredited institution of higher education. If you do not bring a picture ID to the polls or do not own picture ID, you can vote like any other voter by signing an affidavit that will be provided to you.

Requesting an Absent Voter Ballot

Your request for an absent voter ballot must be in writing and can be submitted to the city clerk. (see You must request an absent voter ballot by submitting the applicationlarge print application, a letter, a postcard, or a pre-printed application form. Requests may be returned by hand, via postal mail, fax, or email, as long as a signature is visible. 

Requests to have an absent voter ballot mailed to you must be received no later than 5 p.m. the Friday before the election. If you’re already registered at your current address, you can pick up an absent voter ballot in person anytime up to 4 p.m. on the day prior to the election. If you’re registering to vote or updating your address by appearing at your clerk’s office on Election Day, you can request an absent voter ballot at the same time you register. 

Once your request is received, your signature on the request will be checked against your voter registration record before a ballot is issued. You must be a registered voter to receive an absent voter ballot, but you can register and apply for an absent voter ballot at the same time.  Requests for absent voter ballots are processed immediately. Absent voter ballots may be issued to you at your home address or any address outside of the residence.

After receiving your absent voter ballot, you have until 8 p.m. on election day to complete the ballot and return it to the clerk's office. Your ballot will not be counted unless your signature is on the return envelope and matches your signature on file. If you received assistance voting the ballot, then the signature of the person who helped you must also be on the return envelope. Only you, a family member or person residing in your household, a mail carrier, or election official is authorized to deliver your signed absent voter ballot to your clerk's office.

If an emergency, such as a sudden illness or family death prevents you from reaching the polls on election day, you may request an emergency absent voter ballot. Requests for an emergency ballot must be submitted after the deadline for regular absent voter ballots has passed but before 4 p.m. on election day. The emergency must have occurred at a time which made it impossible for you to apply for a regular absent voter ballot. 

Voters in the Military and Outside the United States:

A Federal Postcard Application (FPCA) also can be used to apply for an absentee ballot if you are a military voter, a spouse or dependent of a military voter, or outside the United States. The law also permits such voters to receive their ballot electronically via email or fax. For more information available online, visit the Federal Voting Assistance Program at or the Michigan Bureau of Elections at

Voter Who Require Assistance

Special accommodations are available for voters who are disabled. If you require voting assistance, ask the election workers for help; a reason for the needed assistance does not have to be stated. Two inspectors will assist you in the voting station. An elector who is blind, disabled, or unable to read or write may be assisted with his or her ballot by any person of the voter’s choice, other than the voter’s employer or agent of that employer, or an officer or agent of a union to which the voter belongs. A voter-assist terminal is available for use by voters who are disabled. This ballot marking device is designed to permit voters who are disabled to vote independently without the assistance of another person.  For more information, contact your city or township clerk. Hearing-impaired residents may contact the Bureau of Elections at 517-373-2540 by calling the Michigan Relay Center toll free at 1-800-649-3777.